My name is Tara and these are my stories....

Friday, November 04, 2005

Old Testament Foundations

I'm taking another course from the Canadian Theological Seminary (CTS) in Toronto. CTS Toronto is a satellite campus of CTS in Calgary which is all part of Alliance University College.
Courses in Toronto are all based on a part time model. Students go to class for 2 weekends (Thursday and Friday night from 7-10 PM and Saturday from 9 AM - 4 PM). The courses are pretty intense and a lot of material is covered in short amount of time. But most students are already working, so this format works really well.

On my friend Don's prompting, we decided to take Old Testament Foundations together. I would have chosen to take New Testament Foundation. But Don convinced me that starting in the Old Testament was the way to go. I'm glad I listened to him. The course has been really great. Both weekends of classes are finished and I've already handed in my first assignment. It was a timeline of the history of Isreal in the Old Testament. My presentation ended up being PowerPoint. I had wanted to make a Video and recruited my friend Mike to do the filming and the editing and the teenagers in my Youth Group to help with the acting. But in the end I didn't have enough time to pull off what I wanted to. So I reverted to PowerPoint. I'm getting ready to start my second assignment. It's a literature paper that worth 50 % of my final grade and has to be 15 pages in length (double spaced). The topic is the Theology of the Old Testament, which is pretty broad, so I'm trying to narrow it down right now to a specific theme. I have started my reading but I'm trying to get the outline of my paper roughed out so that I can start plugging information in when I come across it. Wish me luck, it's going to require discipline and persaverance for me to get this paper done.

My professor, Mark Boda did an excellent job teaching about the Old Testament. He teaches full time at MacMaster's Divinity School but teaches at least 1 course at CTS each semester. My understanding of the importance of the Old Testament has greatly increased. It's much easier to read the Old Testament when you have more extensive background knowledge about culture and the time period. Thanks Professor Boda for opening my eyes to how amazing the Old Testament is.

1 Comments:

Blogger don said...

15 pages double spaced? I thought it was single space. A man, now I have to whittle it in half?...just joking. Thanks for the company. I enjoyed the Quiznos and Stops for strickly Tim's hot chocolate..and Ya beat me on the OT challenge ya browner.
dw

11:08 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home